Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Jim Joyce has officially become an Icon.

And he is feeling terrible about it. Not that he doesn't deserve some sympathy because he owned up to making such an egregious cock-up. But still, how can you make that call in that situation? Okay, backstory for those who've stumbled upon this website off of an inadvertant search for Kim Kardashian's ass.

Armando Galarraga retired 26 batters. 26 up, 26 down. He was one out away from a perfect game. He got Jason Donald to ground out for the 27th out. Any cursory glance at a replay would tell you so.

Excepting for the fact Jim Joyce called Jason Donald safe.

There are so many reasons why this is should not have happened. I am the sort of fat out of shape guy who would be considered the target of the insults of a Ravishing Rick Rude and I would have made sure I had a decent look at the play if I was at second or working at home. It's the scenario that's tailor made for instant replay. And for crap sake? Any NBA referee would have protected a moment of history.

The scorekeeper can still at least give Armando something. All you have to do is make the call an error. It gives him a no-hitter. I dunno. I haven't been here in like a month.

I guess you have to be a cool name to become a pitching footnote.

No comments: