Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I sense doom for my feelings about Randy Wolf.

Strictly speaking, as a fan? I've always liked Randy Wolf. He was a pretty good lefty for the Phillies during the dark period in the early aughts and he holds a place in rock and jock history for his Pedro Martinezesque relief outing in the last rock and jock game in history. So yeah. I've been a fan.

That being said? If the rumors are true. I'm going to find myself losing faith in the Wolf. Randy Wolf has lost that mojo that made him good. Now, I'm not saying he didn't have a good year last season. It's just that for luck not to be a factor? His batting average on balls in play should reside between .280 and .300.

Randy Wolf had a .258 average. And a correction is not exactly going to be the sort of thing that leads to one hit a month. I'm not saying that young Randall is not a pitcher worthy of being in a rotation. Not by a longshot. But we're looking at 10 wins, a 4.20 ERA and WHIP around 1.300 sort of an average pitcher.

So what I'm saying is this is the sort of experince we had with Jeff Suppan when we first signed him. Look how well that turned out. I don't want to hate Randy Wolf, but circumstances may lead me down that road.

No comments: