Sunday, August 23, 2009

David Eckstein is a Shapeshifter

Or the Norse God Loki, because I'm confused.

Okay, here's the thing about moneyball. It's about hitting them where they a'int, to borrow a phrase. Nobody holds OPS on regard? Get the guy who walks. People too protective of the stat guy? Load up on the toolsy prospects. It's all about zigging where the other guy zags. And it makes perfect sense.

Not to say you can't old school your way into contention. The Brewers and Twins have been interesting teams based on old school scouting and savvy trading. But here's the one true common sense fact in baseball.

If you make moves to extend veteran mediocrities? You're doing it wrong.

I mean, the Padres have made an effort to clear the decks and start a youth movement. Not a fun thing to do, but sometimes it just has to be done. You load up on new prospects. And it's going to be fun?

But then you go and extend David Eckstein? Forgive me, but that does not make sense. I mean? He brings nothing to the table. He's stopped running, he doesn't get to as many balls as your average second baseman, and he doesn't even walk. Obviously, he deserves more work as a baseball player.

I mean fuck. Casey McGeehee fell out of the sky for the Brewers. You can't trust your scouts?

This is making my head hurt! Christ! I want answers, Kevin Towers! I want answers!

No comments: