Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The "Your Guy" Phenomenon...

I'm going to level with you. I cannot abide what Michael Vick has done. Training animals to kill each other and all that is disgusting. But it's a sin that he's paid his debt to society for.

I'm not going to cheer for the man. But he deserves a chance at playing football again. Worse sinners have been allowed to see the field again. I'm not going to hit the cheer button for him. At least, I wasn't before I started hearing the rumblings.

And it's a deep philosophical argument. Not in the Jim Rome provocative, you'd shove Farve out of the way for Rodgers, but bring Vick in sort of way. But should I be all "thank you athletically gifted freak, thank you for coming to join my team?"

It's obvious that he will add a dimension that the Packers haven't had since the days of the late-90's Super Bowl runs. And it's obvious that the Wildcat would play a major role if the Packers decided to take the PR hit. But I honestly don't know. It would be simple just to say don't sign him.

But I want the Packers to win. And if Vick is my guy? So be it.

No comments: