Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Grand National Interview: Larry Sweeney

SNS Pictures, Images and Photos

With the brio of a young "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, the swagger of a Brian Pillman and the dance moves of a Michael Hayes, when you mention the independent wrestling world Larry Sweeney has to be one of the top names on the short list of greats. He was kind enough to answer a few questions that I had regarding the art of villainy, his training in India, and that lummox Bobby Dempsey.

How did you break into pro wrestling? And is it true that you actually made the commitment while you were in India?

Absolute truth. I broke in via Quackenbush training, but would have never broken in if my wrestling experience in India hadn't bridged the gap that I saw between athletics and spirituality.

Did you have any wrestling heroes growing up?

Heros? No. My hero's were real people that I knew, and not famous.

Who was the most positive influence on your career thus far?

Cary Silken. If not for him I would have been out of the business several years ago.

As a man who has led and been firmly ensconsed in some of the great stables in the independent world, as well as had feuds with some of the great up and comers whilst taking down a legend of three along the way, who are the wrestlers that you most like to work with?

Eddie Kingston and Mike Quackenbush, I've had my best matches with those two. As far as legends, every single one has been a pleasure to work with and been a whole lot of fun.

Do you think that ability to improvise cutting a promo is a skill that can be taught? That is, while the Big Two script their promos, is it really something feasible?

I think it is something that can be learned as in improved on, but the ability to talk is something that some people are just born with. I think the scripted promos in the big two have a very negative effect on the product.

How exciting is it for you to be a part of Ring of Honor's TV Deal? Does it mean big things for Sweet and Sour Inc.? I smell a Sweet and Sour Spinoff.

This is a more exciting time for me personally than at any other time in my wrestling career.

Now I would consider myself an expert, but do you have any pro-tips for anyone who would find themselves in an open invitational strut-off?

I don't know, practice maybe? I mean, I never did, but maybe that would be the best route for all the disgustos and bedwetters out there.

Would Michael Hayes be the one mountain left to climb in the strut-off world?

I'm not sure what this means. He is one of the great strutters in the modern era of struttery, but you've got so many other guys too, including but not limited to Akeem, Dusty Rhodes, and Tully Blanchard.



You have probably defended your ICW-ICWA Texarkana TV Title on more than one of what Bill Hicks would call a flying saucer tour. And as a Heel, you probably get some of the more interesting fan reactions. I was wondering if you had any awful, hilarious, or awful hilarious stories to share in regards to this?

Not particularly, but I hail you for the Bill Hicks reference.

If someone looks at your photo and says "Damn, I wish my hair was fly like that," do you have any haircare tips for that person?

Brylcream is the shizit.

Bigger disappointment? Bobby Dempsey or the rest of Jerome Walton's career?

Another excellent, excellent reference. Bobby is the king of dissapointment, and he will see further dissapointment in the future when I unleash my full wrath on that gargantuan lummox.

Bobby Dempsey Pictures, Images and Photos
The Lummox in Question

What do you find is the key to being a success as a heel? Is it more than insulting your current location and cheating against the stupid good guys?

You figure out what the people don't like, and do it. It's hard these days, especially in the big cities, but you've got to keep trying until you find what works.

And finally, do you have anything you wish to promote?

My personal merch can be found at www.myspace.com/larrysweeney, and never dissapoints. A new line of T-shirts will accompany the yearly rebirth of the world that happens on the spring equinox. Other than that, if you don't have hdnet on your cable company, call them up now and demand it, becuase ROH is coming, soon, and shit's about to get real.

I would like to thank "Sweet and Sour" for taking the time out to talk to me. And I would like to reiterate, that if you do not have HD Net? Order it now. Ring of Honor is spectacular. Trust the Interviewee.

No comments: